Hexahealth Care Team Tuesday, 13 December 2022
Arthritis is a very common ailment, especially as we age. It is also agonising and unbearable, making even the simplest tasks difficult. Although there is no permanent cure for arthritis, many remedies can help alleviate the pain and symptoms.
Many people widely use allopathic medications for ailments, including arthritis. However, some prefer ayurvedic treatment methods for arthritis. In Ayurveda, arthritis is correlated to a condition called, Amavata. Ayurvedic medicine has been used to treat arthritis for centuries, and such treatments focus on relieving pain, reducing inflammation, and improving joint function.
Various studies have also provided evidence regarding the effectiveness of ayurvedic treatments for arthritis. Read on to learn and explore the best ayurvedic treatments and medicines for arthritis.
Table of Contents
- What is Arthritis? What are its symptoms?
- What is Ayurveda? How can it treat Arthritis?
- Ayurveda Treatments for Arthritis
- Ayurveda Medicines for Arthritis
- Lifestyle Changes
- Changes in Dietary Habits
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Expert Doctors
- Related Hospitals
What is Arthritis? What are its symptoms?
Arthritis is a chronic condition that affects the joints. There are several types of arthritis. However, the most common are:
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritisis a degenerative disease that occurs when the cartilage between the joints breaks down.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory disease in which one's immune system attacks the joints.
The significant symptoms of arthritis are:
- Pain and stiffness in the joints
- Redness in the affected joints.
Arthritis can also lead to joint deformity, loss of range of motion, and joint instability.
What is Ayurveda? How can it treat Arthritis?
- Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine practised for thousands of years in India.
- Its foundational principle is the balance and harmony between the mind, body, and spirit.
- Ayurvedic treatments and medicines are designed to restore this balance and promote well-being. Common treatments include massage, herbs, and dietary changes.
- Many Ayurvedic treatments and medicines are available for arthritis, all of which aim to reduce pain and inflammation while promoting joint health.
Ayurveda Treatments for Arthritis
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to treating arthritis with Ayurveda. The best Ayurvedic treatments for arthritis will vary depending on the individual's unique constitution and the type of arthritis they suffer from. However, some general treatments are below:
- Virechan, an essential part of Panchakarma treatment in Ayurveda, is one of the most used Ayurvedic treatments for the symptoms of arthritis. It is a process where herbal medicines are used to induce purgation. The treatment aims to eliminate or expel excessive pitta dosha from the patient's body.
- Before performing virechan, the patient's body has to be prepared for the process. During virechan, the patient's gastrointestinal duct, liver, and gallbladder are cleansed, so their pitta element is free from imbalances. It is considered the best Ayurvedic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis in India.
- Along with this, virechan is also excellent for the purification of the patient's blood.
- Another Ayurveda treatment for arthritis, Abhyangam, is a full-body massage performed with therapeutic oils. Depending on the type of arthritis, the massage can vary. One of the major benefits of this kind of treatment is that it lubricates the joints and strengthens the joint muscles.
- After performing Abhyangam, the blood flow to the joints will increase, which results in the quick removal of metabolic waste from joints. The direct result of this is alleviated pain and reduced inflammation.
- In addition to being an excellent method to reduce the pain and uneasiness induced by arthritis, Abhyangam is a popular method for various conditions, such as spondylosis, insomnia, paralysis, etc.
- This is another ayurvedic treatment for arthritis when oil usage is not advised. This happens when the Kapha dosha in the patient's body is too high. In Manal Kizhi, sorted sand is wrapped inside a cotton cloth.
- During the same, very little oil is used. It increases the blood flow in the body of the patient. Apart from this, Manal Kizhi is great for reducing the pain associated with arthritis while also strengthening skin and muscles.
- However, this ayurvedic treatment for arthritis is chosen based on the specific conditions and requirements of the patient.
- Another commonly used ayurvedic treatment for arthritis is Elakkizhi, where herbal leaves are wrapped in a cotton cloth. These herbal leaves are carefully cooked as per Ayurveda scriptures using certain herbal oils.
- It is then gradually dipped in medicated oil, and the entire body is massaged using these kizhis. Elakkizhi is suggested by an Ayurveda practitioner based on the severity of arthritis and the characteristics of the patient's body constituents.
- Elakkizhi is extremely beneficial to alleviate joint pain from arthritis, ease joints, and improving the overall health of the immune system.
- Another treatment regime in the Panchakarma treatment, Basti, is often used as a treatment for arthritis. Basti cleans the patient's colon, where most Vata issues arise.
- Since arthritis is chiefly a Vata ailment, most Ayurveda practitioners advise people to undergo this particular treatment to alleviate the pain and other symptoms of arthritis.
- There are eight different types of Basti. Depending on the ailment's nature and the patient's body constituents, one type of Basti or another is selected as the treatment.
- An oil decoction is introduced to the patient's body via the rectum in this treatment. However, the patient's body needs to be prepared for the treatment before doing the same. The medicinal decoction forces the rectum to flush out most Vata doshas and toxins from the body.
Ayurveda Medicines for Arthritis
Ayurveda has a wide range of medicines for reducing the pain from arthritis and all associated symptoms. These medicines can be tried at home to relieve all joint pains and discomfort due to arthritis.
- Also known by its scientific name, Vitex Negundo, Nirgundi or Sindhuvara is extensively used in Ayurveda to treat pain related to arthritis.
- It is also one of the best Ayurveda medicines for rheumatoid arthritis-induced joint pain, swelling, and discomfort.
- Renowned for their anti-inflammatory and anaesthetic properties, ajwain or cumin seeds are a great medicine to treat arthritis and related concerns.
- You can drop a spoonful of ajwain into a tub and soak your joints to relieve pain.
- Another potent Ayurveda medicine for arthritis, ashwagandha, offers a wide range of medicinal properties.
- It can make a medicinal mixture with sesame seeds and kapikach. The final concoction can be drunk with milk and will help you reduce joint pains.
- Sesame oil is considered the best ayurvedic medicine for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Rubbing the oil on your joints constantly can reduce the pain and inflammation from the joints considerably. In addition, sesame oil also has a variety of medicinal properties and can make bones and muscles stronger.
- While it is a widely used spice in the Indian kitchen, turmeric or Haldi is rich in medicinal properties.
- It is often used to treat joint pain due to arthritis and is famed for its anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer capabilities.
- Including turmeric in a diet can fortify one's immune system and improve joint strength and flexibility.
- One can use numerous Ayurveda oils to rub the knee joints to relieve pain induced by different types of arthritis.
- Many oils can be used effectively as ayurvedic medicine for arthritis by Patanjali. Some of the best oils for treating arthritis are Jambeera Thailam and Karpooradi Thailam.
Many Ayurveda practitioners believe that making lifestyle changes and updates is important to treat all types of arthritis. It is believed that a sedentary lifestyle is what leads to the creation of ‘ama’, the root cause of arthritis and related symptoms.
Here are a few things you can do to change your lifestyle to avoid arthritis-related joint pains and other symptoms:
- Make a habit of practising yoga daily.
- Use hot water to shower and drink instead of cold water.
- Get rid of after-noon and late-night naps.
- Massage joints with medicinal oils to alleviate joint pain and stiffness.
Changes in Dietary Habits
Arthritis is an inflammatory condition, so it is important to avoid food that promotes inflammation in the body. These include:
- Dairy products
- Fried foods
- Processed meats
- Refined carbohydrates
Instead, eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, and grains. Try to consume more healthy fats such as olive oil, coconut oil and oily fish such as salmon or mackerel. These anti-inflammatory foods will help to reduce swelling and pain in the joints.
The idea is to create a holistic diet plan to help you rejuvenate your body while maintaining a healthy lifestyle to avoid arthritis-related inflammation, joint pains, and other discomforts.
Ayurvedic medicine may be the right option if you are looking for an effective and natural way to treat arthritis. Several treatments and medicines are available; therefore consulting a qualified practitioner to find the best treatment method for your specific condition is very important. With the help of these treatments, the patient can experience significant relief from arthritis symptoms and improve their quality of life.
HexaHealth is the best platform you can use if you are searching for a reliable place to find expert, experienced, and qualified professionals to help you with any treatment. It has the largest network of hospitals nationwide to help you choose the best. The platform uses a proprietary AI-powered recommendation engine to bring you the most suitable list of hospitals, healthcare professionals, and treatment options based on your requirements, insurance plans, and post-treatment needs.
- Arthritis in Hindi
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best ayurvedic medicine for arthritis?
The best medicine for arthritis combines Ayurveda treatment, diet, and exercise. You must consult with a qualified Ayurveda practitioner to create a treatment plan. After undergoing the same, maintain a healthy lifestyle and follow a great diet. If you add a bit of exercise to the mix, you can keep your arthritis under control.
Can Ayurveda completely cure arthritis?
No, Ayurveda cannot cure arthritis completely. However, Ayurveda has numerous treatments for arthritis and its symptoms to reduce the pain the discomfort. By adopting a healthy lifestyle, diet, and treatment regime, arthritis can be controlled.
What is the most effective herbal medicine for arthritis?
There are many herbal medicines for arthritis that one can use. Nirgundi, Ajwain, Ashwagandha, and Turmeric are regarded highly to treat arthritis.
Can Patanjali cure arthritis?
No medication can cure arthritis. However, many Ayurveda oils, medicines, and treatments can improve the quality of the patient's life. With the right treatment, diet, and weight balance, any person suffering from arthritis can live a pain-free normal life.
Can arthritis be cured permanently?
No, arthritis cannot be cured completely. It is a rather challenging medical condition. However, with the right approach based on individual conditions, a person can live a normal life free of pains and joint discomfort due to arthritis.
How long does it take to cure arthritis in Ayurveda?
Arthritis is a complex health condition that is impossible to cure in Ayurveda or with allopathy medicine. However, one can adopt several treatment plans and medicines to alleviate the pain and other symptoms due to arthritis effectively. With the right treatment, exercise, and diet, any person suffering from arthritis can lead a normal, pain-free life.
Is ghee good for rheumatoid arthritis?
Ghee is a good food for joint paints due to rheumatoid arthritis. It is perfect for easing joint stiffness, reducing inflammation, and improving joint lubrication.
What is the most successful drug for rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis is a complex medical condition that requires individualised attention based on symptoms. Therefore, it is impossible to name one drug that is most successful for rheumatoid arthritis. However, you can talk to your doctor and learn what works best.
Can we eat curd while suffering from arthritis?
Since curd is rich in Vitamin D and Calcium, it is advisable to eat it in general as it can help you strengthen your bone. At the same time, Vitamin D helps absorb Calcium and other minerals like Phosphorous and Magnesium. However, talk to your doctor before eating curd to ensure you are in the safe zone.